Working in Partnership with International Alert
At the beginning of 2013 Talk for A Change and International Alert received funding from Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust and Oxfam to build a coalition of voice and influence for Good Relations work, contributing to the creation of more resilient, cohesive and peaceful communities.
Local host organisations ran 11 local and sub-regional networking and fact-finding events around England.
346 people from the community, voluntary and public sectors attended
235 organisations were represented, including youth justice, police and local authorities
Participants told many inspiring and positive stories about local activities that
helped people to strengthen relationships across difference, and examples of difficult community conversations being facilitated with great success and benefit to local areas.
Good Relations work fell into a number of broad categories:
- work that strengthens the voice, agency and engagement of marginalised groups
- work that builds greater understanding of different identities and develops skills for positive interaction
- work that brings people together for a common purpose, or in a common place
- work that directly tackles tensions between different groups and communities
- Capacity building work
- Campaigning work, actively challenging media narratives, and local and national policy
Download the report here.